How to Empowering Yourself and Communication with Your Stakeholders
I just finished my personal development trainee. To review my understanding, I make a note about my personal development journey spread in five-part of articles. In this part, I will write about personal empowerment and communication with impact.
Talking about personal empowerment means talking about taking responsibility for your own success or taking initiative in your specific area. Perhaps you may be worried about making mistake, it’s just one of the barriers to empowering yourself. You have willing to taking initiative, but at some time you have any negative feeling in your head. What you need is some actions guideline below:
- Find out what is important: To take initiative the first step you must do is find out what is important in your job or task. For example, you can identify your customer or end-user needs. Or if you an employee you must identify your job area find the important things about the operational services standard or vision and mission of your organization.
- Look for ways to make improvements: People always have an expectation when you deciding to take initiative. They may need to satisfy your initiative, so the next step you can do is look for ways to improve. Observe and ask questions for looking at problems to solve and think about how to solve them. Pay attention to the improvement you're going to find to increase quality, improve your customer satisfaction, reduce cost, and take less time. After getting the opportunity to taking initiative, asking too about the pros and cons of your ideas.
- Ask for coaching: In taking initiative about the new things can be difficult and worse everything. Don’t forget to ask coaching to your senior or peers who have more experiences. You can learn and seek insight by asking for coaching.
- Involve and support others: Important to know taking initiative is mean you must giving edit value to others. To giving edit value you can involve and support others who need it. Involve others can help you develop ideas and alternate solution, seek more insights and problem and don’t forget to help others when they need.
- Measure results: Be realistic by measuring your initiative results. Measuring help you know when you reach your goals.
- Never be satisfied, keep learning: Last but most important, never be satisfied with your work today, keep seeking opportunity to make improvement and learning from this.
Communication with Impact
There are two kinds of people needs when they are communicating with others, practical needs and personal needs. When you communicate with others make sure you fulfil their needs. It’s important to make an impact on your communication.
Personal need related to the person needs for you. This will determine people’s interest in your idea, build a good perception of you and build trust. To fulfil personal needs, there are five key principles that you must be attentive to, you can name it EEISS abbreviation of Esteem, Empathy, Involvement, Share and Support.
Actions to do:
- Increase the self-esteem of your stakeholders when they doing something great and keep their esteem when they make mistake.
- Listen and respond to your stakeholders with empathy, imagine you are in their position
- Involvement by request help and increase engagement of your stakeholders or others
- Share thoughts, feelings and rationale reasons
- Provide support without taking over other people’s work
Practical needs related to goals of communication. What you gonna reach by doing the meeting or discussion. To fulfil practical needs pay attention to our way of direct the discussion. There are five ways to direct our discussion, you can name it OCDAC abbreviation of:
- Open: Describe the goals of the discussion, mention the opportunity for you and your stakeholders. It’s important to open your conversation appropriately without rambling on.
- Clarify: At the clarify step you can explain the current conditions.
- Develop: Seeking ideas on developing step. You can involve others in seeking ideas. You can also ask for feedback from your stakeholders.
- Agree: Don’t forget to validate before you close the discussion. Drawing conclusions and agreements with stakeholders will avoid misunderstandings in the future.
- Close: Closing the discussion by giving appreciation and feedback to your stakeholders.
The question is when we have applied the five key principles of communication, how do we respond to stakeholders who are still defensive against us?
The first one asks yourself, maybe you haven’t explained the benefits you provide to that person. So, what you have to do is explain the benefits that you can provide and remind the impact of that person’s defensiveness on the organization.
Talking about the defensive responses of your stakeholders, you must set your mind that feedback aims to provide constructive criticism. There are three aspects for successful feedback:
- It must be specific
- It must be as soon as possible
- It must be balanced, between the appreciation or critics
And the successful feedback has STAR/AR formulas below:
- Situation/Task, what is the specific situation/task
- Action, write down what action should be done
- The result, the results that will be obtained if you work on the feedback
- Alternate Results, you can explain alternative outcomes that may occur by providing alternative actions
Treat others the way they want to be treated — Ferry Dafira